Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Review: Anna Karenina


 

 

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow! Excellent! Highly recommend!

I started reading this many years ago but never really got into it at the time. I always heard it was a book about adultery. So it didn't draw my attention. However, recently I read some good reviews and recommendations on this book - and knowing it's a classic, I decided to give it another shot. I am glad I did.

This book is about everything. It's about LIFE. It touched on the distinctions between Marxism, Capitalism, Fascism, etc. both economically and politically. It touches on faith, religion, God, atheism, society's rules for behavior, dreams, expectations, relationships, mental and emotional health, Interpersonal relationships, marriage, parenting, education, finances, and more.

When I say it "touches on...." I mean there is full-on dialogue, with views from various sides of the issues, which cause the reader to ponder these things (if reader is paying attention). It is fabulous! I loved it. I loved getting into the relationships and issues they discussed.

Anna Karenina at once is crazy, I think, but also bright and intelligent and deeply emotional. Each character is deeply developed - not just a surface character, but an individual with deep thoughts, desires, emotions, and reactions.

This book was so so good. I cannot recommend it enough!  

And it's rated G. Even though there is adultery - it never gets into the 'sex' area - which I appreciated.

Tolstoy truly did write a masterpiece. I can see why so many consider this THE book of all ages when it comes to writing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Merry Christmas 2022!

This post is taken directly from our family Christmas newsletter, with minimum edits (which are not for public posting).     🎄 Merry Christ...